2005 CRF250R Front Brake Caliper Too Big/Oversized?
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda CRF Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2005 CRF250R Front Brake Caliper Too Big/Oversized?

Member #

2005 CRF250R Front Brake Caliper Too Big/Oversized?

I need some help here. I picked up an '05 CRF250R and the front brake caliper, line and lever were not installed. The guy I bought it from said that it's an over-sized caliper and I'll need to get the right one that fits this bike. When I try to mount the caliper, I basically have to wedge and force it to go between the rotor and the mounting bracket on the fork (see pic below).

Name:  IMG_20171224_154300.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  3.55 MBName:  IMG_20171224_154308.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  4.52 MBName:  IMG_20171224_154316.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  4.33 MB

I took that caliper to a local dealer and one of the guys there told me that it was the correct caliper for an '05 CRF250R, and that I was probably missing the spacer that goes between the wheel and fork on the rotor side. I didn't think I was missing it, so when I got home I checked and the spacer is installed (see pics below).

Name:  2018-01-02 20_38_17-IMG_20180102_175544.jpg - Photo Gallery.png
Views: 85
Size:  1.86 MBName:  2018-01-02 20_48_40-IMG_20180102_175606.jpg - Photo Gallery.png
Views: 92
Size:  3.17 MB

I went through some parts that were given to me when I bought the bike and found this metal ring that looks like it could be a spacer, but I'm not sure. It has a small rubber ring that goes inside it and it has some small notches on the inside. It looks to be about the right diameter that the front axle rod could slide through it, but it could just be a coincidence? (see pics below)

Name:  IMG_20180102_205348.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  1.87 MBName:  IMG_20180102_205440.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  2.03 MB

I know it's a little dirty in the pics; I've played on it a couple of times before it got *REALLY* cold here. Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks!

Member #
    I think that is the stock caliper. It's far more common to see oversize brake rotors than it is calipers! If, indeed, it IS an oversize rotor, there should be a bracket that goes between the caliper and the fork leg, which should space the caliper out far enough to clear the added diameter of the oversize rotor. If you're missing that, you might try to find the rotor's manufacturer (somewhere on the rotor hub?) and contact them to see if you can get a replacement.

I don't think that spacer you found is for the brake/wheel, either. Not sure where that belongs, actually. Might be a bushing from the output shaft....behind the drive sprocket. That's my best guess, anyway.

Neil

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by WERA689 View Post
    I think that is the stock caliper. It's far more common to see oversize brake rotors than it is calipers! If, indeed, it IS an oversize rotor, there should be a bracket that goes between the caliper and the fork leg, which should space the caliper out far enough to clear the added diameter of the oversize rotor. If you're missing that, you might try to find the rotor's manufacturer (somewhere on the rotor hub?) and contact them to see if you can get a replacement.

I don't think that spacer you found is for the brake/wheel, either. Not sure where that belongs, actually. Might be a bushing from the output shaft....behind the drive sprocket. That's my best guess, anyway.

Thanks for the reply! I think I have the stock (or the stock size) front rotor. I've read that the front rotor stock size is 240mm for an '05 CRF250R (or, for all of them?), which is about 9.45". The over-sized front rotors are 260mm, which is about 10.25". I measured the one that's on there right now as best I could at about 9.75", but that's not exactly from edge to edge since the fork is in the way. But I definitely can tell it's nowhere near the 10.25" mark which would indicate an over-sized rotor (I'm guessing). Are the Showa forks OEM for a CRF250R? Maybe that could be the problem?

Name:  IMG_20180103_120929.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  4.07 MBName:  IMG_20180103_120940.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  3.38 MB

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaCRF.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    I'm pretty sure the Showa's are stock....after all, Showa is a division of Honda Motor Co.

Are you sure you had the pistons all the way into the caliper when you tried to mount it? It's possible that if they weren't, it could interfere with mounting.....can't be sure though. I'd pull the wheel and get a more accurate measurement of the rotor, though. 20mm isn't much, and it looks like you could easily be off by that much measuring the way you did in your pic. Also, look for a manufacturer name stamped on the rotor hub....it could say Nissin (aka Honda), or it could say Braking or EBC or whatever. If that's there, that should tell you a lot.

Member #
    Ok, well I loaded the bike in my truck today and took it over to the dealership. I'm tired of messing with it, and, of course, I overlooked the obvious. This is the first bike I've had with this type of axle. Anyways..... The right side (the Allen-wrench end of the axle) has been mushroomed from being hit too much with something. This is keeping the axle from sitting flush with the right side fork inside the "pinch clamps" (as I call them lol). Picture is below. That is what's taking up the space I need on the left side to mount the caliper. I have a new front wheel axle and nuts on the way and should be good to go once they get here! I'll post an update once the new axle is on. Thanks for the help!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by toddmash; 01-05-2018 at 05:08 PM.

Member #
    Excellent find! I don't think I'd have figured that one out.

Member #
    I got the new front axle and axle nut in yesterday and got them installed. It looks much better! However, it still does not give any more clearance on the rotor side to install the caliper. After looking a little more, I don't think the front brake rotor is what is supposed to be on there or at least is not the correct one for the caliper that I have. The reason being is because those "o-rings" (in the middle of the rotor) on the brake rotor that hold the inner part and the outer parts together. When I turn the front wheel, it's these "o-rings" that are hitting the caliper and catching on it. I'm taking the wheel back to the shop today so maybe I can get some verification on that. Anybody got anything from looking at the pics below of the front brake rotor that's installed?

Here are some pics of where I'm at now;

New front axle installed;

Name:  IMG_20180110_220829.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  2.82 MB

One mounting bolt holding the caliper on and the "o-ring" catching on it;
    Name:  IMG_20180110_214607.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  3.72 MBName:  IMG_20180110_214622.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  2.73 MB

Full picture of front brake rotor;

Name:  IMG_20180110_214639.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  4.17 MB

Member #
    I'm pretty sure that's not the stock rotor. Given that, I think what you're missing is the spacer that would stand the caliper off from the fork leg just enough to clear those "floating buttons". The stock rotor is a solid disc....no separation between the hub and the rotor surface. Floating rotors have those buttons to allow the disc to move around a little from side to side. This allows for the rotor to self-center in the caliper, and also supposedly helps with brake cooling. BUT, as you've found, the caliper needs to be moved slightly back from the stock mount points to clear those buttons. Best case, you find someone who has the right spacer for sale. Worst case, you get a machinist to make one for you. OR, you can try and find a used stock rotor.

Member #
    Well, it's funny how you just "notice" things that should be obvious. I have come to believe that I don't even have the stock wheel, much less s stock Honda wheel. The bolt pattern on the hub for the rotor only has 4 bolts, the OEM specs for Honda parts shows 6 bolts. Soooo, I found one on Ebay in REALLY good shape for $80 shipping and all. I also picked up the OEM spacers for the front wheel, too. Should be in next week so, again, I'll let y'all know when they're on. Thanks again for all the help so far!

Member #
    The downside of buying used anythings....you never know what the first owner might have changed! Glad you figured it out, and hoping that the correct wheel fixes all your issues.....YOU NEED TO RIDE!